Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day of the Dead or All Soul's Day

This is the day to remember those who have died.  Since death is universal, remembering the dead is also universal.  I suspect the Mexican day of the dead preceded Catholicism in Mexico.  One of the motivations for Christians to remember the dead was to do things that would speed along the purgatory process and help those who passed get on to heaven.  At the Reformation, the reformed Christians dropped the celebration of All Soul's Day because they didn't believe in purgatory.  Well there are other reasons to remember those who died.  Since today is also election day in the United States I thought I would share a story the celebrates both voting and those who have died.

My mother was a staunch Republican.  Not the kind of Republicans we have today.  But the old fashioned Lincoln Republican which the current crop is trying to drive out of the party.  She voted for Eisenhower and Nixon.  My father was a Southern Democrat.  The kind that doesn't much exist anymore.  Fiscally conservative yet pro-working class.  My father always said the Republicans were the party of the banks and elite.  Only the Democrats represented the working man.  Well all that has changed.  As the California ballot got more and more complex with propositions, my mother would have me fill out her sample ballot so she had a guideline to vote.  So in her old age she started voting for liberals and liberal causes.  I like the idea that I got to double my vote and perhaps that would make a difference.  My mother doesn't vote anymore, at least not here. But I will never forget helping her vote.  So on this election day and Day of the Dead, I remember my mother and I remember voting for her.

No comments: