Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Free Food

Last night I dropped into a grocery store. It was the one that was named Boney's, then Henry's now Sprouts. It still has the same market niche even with all the name changes. I found what I was wanting and I saw some ladies unpacking a box filled with jars of cookies. As I got in line, one of the ladies offered me a choice of cookies, either a cocoanut macaroon or vanilla macaroon. Normally, I don't take samples. But I was tired, waiting in line and I didn't eat any dessert at my last meal, so I took it.  These cookies were really small. Just a drop about the size of a Hershey Kiss. As I popped it into my mouth, the lady showed me the container which had in big bright letters ONLY FOUR CALORIES. I figured a cookie of that size should be about 12 calories, so the realization hit me. I asked her does it contain sugar? With great enthusiasm she said no, it had an artificial sugar. And then the chemical backtaste flooded my mouth. It was wretched. While all this was happening, an Asian woman slipped in front me of so I missed my place in line. I was desperate to get out of the store so I could rinse out my mouth. I would rather do without sweets than eat fake sweets. You know, there is not a single study showing that artificial sweeteners are effective with weight loss. So I avoid all of them like the poisons they are. I see people, fat as me, swilling diet sodas, so obviously, they have no effect. I prefer water anyway. The worst calories are the calories you don't want, so I got four calories that I didn't want without any satisfaction.

No comments: