Friday, September 24, 2010

CANE SUGAR KETCHUP

Everyday you see more and more articles on the dangers of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  I noticed the other day at Von's Grocery Store a bottle of Heinz Ketchup that had across the label "Simply Heinz".  I picked up the bottle and read the ingredients.  It had plain old sugar, instead of HFCS.  I had expected that this would be the year we see HFCS banned like Trans-Fat.  Instead of a ban, the chemical industry is trying to change the name of HFCS to "corn sugar".  For more information about the health effects of HFCS see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM.  The science on HFCS is shows that it is bad and a reasonable person should avoid it.  I also noticed the Hunt's Ketchup which boldly had on its label "NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP".  Heinz is still putting HFCS in its regular ketchup.  As for Del Monte, it's not on the shelf so I don't know what is in it.  When I was a kid, we used Del Monte Catsup.  When President Reagan decided ketchup was a vegetable, only ketchup counted, catsup was out.  Many of the companies scrambled to change the name from catsup to ketchup though the product was the same.  I don't know what happened to Del Monte Catsup.  I have seen it in Mexico but not in San Diego.

No comments: