Thursday, September 16, 2010

Police State

I am not sure how or why we got here but we are now living in a police state. The freedoms that so many have died for have been surrendered or usurped by those who detest our Constitution. I have traveled on American highways my entire life. I have always had the expectation as long as I was obeying the traffic laws I could freely travel on the highways without harassment from authorities. Last night, I was riding along with a friend traveling from El Centro, California to San Diego, California. While climbing up the grade on Interstate 8 entering San Diego County, we were tailgated and then pulled over by Border Patrol agents. The "officer" who approached the driver's window had on a t-shirt and was not in uniform. He asked us for ID. I asked what was his probable cause for pulling us over. He said "I am a federal agent, I don't need probable cause." I was stunned. That is not what I learned in law school. Since, the alleged officer had a gun I decided to not assert my rights as an American to freely travel within my home state. Apparently, the license plate of my friend's car did not come up on the DMV records the federal agents accessed. However, the state law is not any business of federal agents, so this made no sense. So in sum, we were lawfully traveling on the Interstate highway within the borders of the United States. We were not crossing into the United States. There was absolutely no reason we should have attracted any attention by the Border Patrol. Yet, we were stopped (while going uphill no less) and harassed without any color of law whatsoever, because as the "agent" said "I am a federal agent, I don't need probable cause." I want my country back!

No comments: